Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Seven Weeks



I brought his ashes home with me.  They are heavy, and dense, settled inside a large round tube. Sunday, I drove up a scary, winding path to the summit of Monk’s Road, near Glossop, where, on a clear day, you can see all the way to Manchester, and where he took me, the first weekend we spent together, to show me the place he wanted his ashes scattered. It is a beautiful spot, with nutty brown grasses swaying in the wind, surrounded on all sides by his beloved green hills, their patchwork fields bathed in shadow and light. One day, we will make sure his wishes are carried out. I am not yet ready to let him go.

I have made him a little shrine, in the bedroom, with our picture above it, and it is a comfort to me, this cardboard barrel of bones and ash. It is what I have left of the body I loved. In the mornings, I rise, from his side of the bed, still imprinted with the weight of him, my head having rested on his pillows, and I pat the tube that holds him.  His dressing gown hangs on its hook at the back of our door, and sometimes I press it to my face, in search of his scent, but it has faded, now, and I can’t remember it. 

I try to keep him close to me, to recall his voice, his funny ways, how he sat at the computer with his headphones on, music blaring from them, waving his pen in the air, like a conductor. Once, shortly after he died, I awakened with a start, and rushed to the door of his office, to look for him. It was where I could usually find him, in the early morning hours, if he was not sleeping next to me. He wasn't there. The chair was empty, and the computer screen black. 

His computer and chair are with his son, now, and his music system has been dismantled, and placed in a box, for one of his other sons. His clothes, too, are gone, donated to his favourite charity shop.

It is difficult, this step, letting go of his things, passing them on to others, saying goodbye to the constant reminders of his presence in this house. And perhaps I am moving too quickly to do it. Yet he was more than his things, and it is important that some of them go to the people who loved him, so that they, too, can find solace in those reminders.

There are no roadmaps for this thing called grief. It is a private and solitary path, and we trudge clumsily along it, hoping someday to find our way through to another side. It will be a long road. It will be months, perhaps years, before I will be able to awaken in the morning without the immediate recognition of his absence, to leave work and not weep for him on the train ride home, knowing he is not there to greet me, to clamber up the stairs to bed and not panic at the thought of sleeping another night without him.  I will walk it, reluctantly, because I must.

I have friends to help me along this road, spiritual friends from the Sangha he loved, who have embraced me and warmed me with their welcome. I have friends in Glossop, who regale me with stories of his antics, who are also suffering from this loss. And I have his family, too. It does not take away this pain. But it lightens the burden a bit, to share it.

The internet is full of grief blogs, and I am sure that my entries here will not reveal any new insights on this journey. Perhaps, instead, my words can bring comfort to the people who knew him, and perhaps we can use them, as I do, to keep him close to us, for just a little while longer.



7 comments:

  1. Brought tears to my eyes but what a great beautiful description of the path

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I never met your husband, I can only imagine what a special man he was to have captured the likes of you. I adore you and am sending my most peaceful, loving thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind thoughts, Tricia. He was a great guy, and I am still marvelling at his many great qualities--rejoicing in his merits, we call it, in Buddhist circles. xx

      Delete
  3. At 4 years after my personal loss and the grieving stopped but the pain and memories are always here. Got tired of looking at the plain blue urn with T's ashes in it - my daughter brought me a brown and red Teddy Bear cookie jar with a white chef's hat on it. The grandchildren all called T Teddy Bear - seemed appropriate for him. I think he loves it. Put it on a high shelf just above all of the picture albums of our many trips abroad together. We each do what we need to do to get relief. I am now at peace in my heart and soul and knowing T he is also at peace and has traveled on to whatever there is in store for him in the next chapter. I love you so much my little Glidebaby - you are always in my prayers - you are doing wonderfully well. We didn't have them for that long but isn't it wonderful that we finally found our soulmates? That is a precious gift that everyone doesn't get to experience. Be well - keep on hiking and living each day like the precious gift it is. The cat (Sheba) is 20 years old and I am going to be 84 next week so we know how to do "Just for Today" pretty well. (35 years sober last Sunday). Blessings baby. Love Baba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise it has only been four years for you, Barbara. I am glad you had Teddy in your life. Love to you on your 'almost' 84th birthday. Love Glidebaby xx

      Delete
  4. You brought tears to my eyes and my heart swelled with feelings of love for you. I am so happy that you found each other and so sad that you had each other only for a short time. Please take good care of yourself. It sounds like you are. MUCH love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Terri. I appreciate your kind thoughts and words. I am sometimes angry that I had such a short time with him. But I am glad that I knew him. He was one of a kind. Love Tricia x

    ReplyDelete